Because healthy eating is such a vital part of good health, it is important that we not only plan and prepare nutritious meals but also that we provide good snacks. For many people, snacking can be their biggest challenge when it comes to making good food choices. So often, we eat well throughout the day only to fall prey to late night munchies that derail us. By buying and preparing good snack options, you will be better prepared to keep your healthy eating habits on track.
The Big, Bad Grocery Store
Okay, let’s face it. Manufacturers spend a lot of time, money, and research to try to get us to buy their products. This means that every time you go into the grocery store you are bombarded with pretty packages and advertising meant to make you buy products regardless of their nutritional value or the cost to your health. It is possible to buy nutritious, high-quality products at the grocery store. You just need to know where to look. Most of the items you want are going to be found on the perimeter of the store. This includes the produce section where many stores now carry organic fruit and vegetable options or even have a whole organic section available. Try to buy local produce in season for the best quality and taste. Stop by the meat section to see their selection of organic meats as well. In the refrigerated section, look for coconut milk to add to nutritious smoothies or organic cage-free eggs. The frozen section may have organic berries to add to your smoothie or frozen vegetables that you can enjoy year round even when local produce is out of season. You can find some nutritious foods in the center aisles if you know what to look for. Beans can be added to soups or to certain meat dishes. None of those baked beans in a can please! Dried beans are not difficult to cook and have no added preservatives or sugar. If you must buy canned beans, look for plain beans with only water and perhaps salt added. Also be sure to buy cans that have a non-BPA lining such as Eden Organic. The truth is that if you don’t buy unhealthy foods you won’t eat unhealthy foods. It is important that you educate yourself regarding good nutrition rather than relying on manufacturers and advertisers to tell you what is good for you. Ultimately, they are more interested in their bottom line than in your good health.
Good Snacks and Snack Ideas
So you might be wondering, what are some good snacks or snack ideas? I’m glad you asked! There are many good snack foods available.
- One that I really enjoy is some organic homemade popcorn. Use a little organic coconut or other oil of your choice in the bottom of the pan and then lightly salt the popped kernels for a crunchy and salty snack food choice. You can also season your popped kernels with other spices if you are on a low-salt diet.
- Some fresh fruit can also make a wonderful snack. Try an organic apple smeared with a little almond butter for a quick pick-me-up.
- Some cut-up vegetables dipped in homemade hummus can also make a quick and easy healthy snack choice.
- A handful of raw organic nuts also make good snacks for those times when you want something crunchy to snack on.
- For an on-the-go snack, grab a Larabar, some Navitas superfood power snack, a piece of fresh fruit or some dried organic fruit or berries, or some sunflower or pumpkin seeds.
- Hard-boiled eggs are an inexpensive high-protein snack. Pair them up with some fresh organic fruit or veggies.
- If you eat dairy, try some organic cheese on gluten-free crackers or maybe some plain organic yogurt with fresh or frozen organic berries.
- Some gluten-free Crunchmaster crackers with a little of your favorite nut butter are also delicious.
- Make a cacoa/hemp smoothie to share with a friend for a wonderful chocolatey snack loaded with antioxidants, protein, and fiber.
There are plenty of other options as well, but it is best to prepare for healthy snacking ahead of time. This can be done by cutting up a variety of fresh vegetables and keeping them handy in the fridge, having a wide assortment of fresh or frozen fruits and berries available, or choosing to only buy nutritious snack foods to have in the house. For healthy recipes for snack ideas as well as other occasions, visit Navitas Naturals. They have plenty of smoothie recipes to try as well as recipes for gluten-free and dairy-free eating. You can find everything from appetizer and meal ideas to desserts and snacks.